Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Peach "Caprese" Salad with Balsamic Reduction

I know, I know - its a little early for peaches. But I just couldn't help myself. Maybe its a southern thing. This traditionally Italian salad gets a little sweeter swapping tomatoes for peaches, and it will be even better if you are patient (unlike some of us) and wait a month or so to make it when peaches are in their prime. I made this on a small scale, but it would be gorgeous layered on a large platter for a big summer dinner party. Enjoy!

Serves 2
Ingredients:
4 fresh peaches
1 fist-size ball fresh Mozzarella cheese (get the good stuff)
1 handful fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup Balsamic vinegar
1 TBSP brown sugar

Directions:
1) Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to low. Stir in brown sugar and simmer until vinegar is reduced by half. It will become thick and syrup-y (yum)
2) Peel and slice peaches into even discs*
3) Slice mozzarella into even slices, about the same width of peaches
4) Layer peaches, cheese and basil on a plate, in whatever pattern you prefer
5) Drizzle balsamic reduction over the salad
6) Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper and a pinch of salt

*I like to stick the peaches in the refrigerator after slicing for 10-20 minutes so they are nice and chilled when I go to assemble the dish. It makes this salad all the more refreshing on a hot day

No comments: